I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. The meat was very sweet and tender, but it was a little dry so you should make sure to use the barbecue sauce. I suggest serving it with peas and mashed potatoes. Delicious!
- 1 3 – 3 1/2 pound fresh beef brisket
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups bottled barbecue sauce
- Trim fat from meat. Place meat in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In a small bowl stir together water, onion, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili powder, bouillon granules, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Pour over meat. Cover with foil. Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 3 hours or until tender, turning once. Remove meat; discard juices. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on a serving platter. Serve with barbecue sauce.
I give the oven-barbecued beef brisket: 4 out of 5 chefs